History

Mamit District with its headquarters at Mamit was etched out from the erstwhile Aizawl District under Mizoram Govt. Notification No.A.600Ill2ll95-GAD dated 11.3.98. The new District started functioning from the 24th April, 1998 which was the date when the new Deputy. Commissioner assumed office.

According to the 2011 census Mamit district has a population of 85,757. This gives it a ranking of 619th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 28 inhabitants per square kilometre (73 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 36.59 %. Mamit has a sex ratio of 924 females for every 1000 males and a literacy rate of 85.96 %.

The dominant tribe within the District is Mizo followed by Chakma and Reang. Apart from Christmas and New Year festivals, the Mizo celebrates Chapchar Kut and Mim Kut which are festivals attributed to harvesting of rice and other agricultural items from the field. Chakma celebrates their New Year festival called Biju during the last part of the year and first part of the new year while Reang also known as Bru celebrates Buishu during the month of April.

The first office established in Mamit was Project Office which was opened in 1959 when Mizoram was one of the Districts under Assam Government. It was upgraded as Community Development Block Office in 1962. In 1978, Mamit was declared as Civil Sub-Division Headquarters.Nine years after it was declared as a SDO(C) Headquarters, Aizawl West District was created in 11.03.1998. The name of the District was later renamed as Mamit District.

The District is Famous for abundant production of orange for which the district is often called “The Orange garden of Mizoram”.